Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Trip to the Dentist


I finally went to the dentist Monday. I probably shouldn’t say this but the last time I went was right after Elise was born-2 ½ years ago! But, in my defense I have very strong teeth and healthy gums which I must have inherited from my mom. I have never had a cavity in my life. And again I passed with flying colors at this appointment-whew! Life is just not fair-my sweet husband takes excellent care of his teeth and has at least one cavity almost every time he goes and he does go every six months! I took Elise in as well for a ‘happy visit’. She did okay but would not let the lady scrape the inside of her teeth. But she let her polish them. I also had to take Joseph and he was the perfect child. I put him in his stroller and there he sat for TWO hours entertained by his toys and people around him. He only fussed a small amount near the end! Amazing, really.

Okay, so I wanted to post about this dental office and not so much about my mouth. If anyone out there is looking for a dentist this is the place to go! It is called Total Care Dental. They are serious when they say 5 star VIP service. So this is how it went. After taking my xrays and setting Elise up with a movie in the children’s play area with a cookie and a juice box for each of the children they offered me a paraffin wax treatment for my hands. Then adjusted my dental chair which is also a heated massage chair to whatever made me the most comfortable. By the way I had a personal lady that stayed with me nearly the entire time just to make sure I was comfortable and if I needed anything. Posted on the wall was a sign that listed all the items that they provided:drinks, snacks, coffee, hot chocolate, etc. So, I was laying all the way back when I notice the television on the ceiling and the lady asked if I wanted to watch a show or a movie. After my teeth were cleaned and polished the dentist came in to exam my teeth and talk to me about some cosmetic stuff I want to get done. Very nice man. After he looked in Elise’s mouth-no cavities by the way-‘the lady’ brought me a moist hot towel, a mint, and chap stick on a silver tray to me. She gave each of the kids a goodie bag with toothbrush, past, and gold coins to buy toys with in their little trinket machines. That’s not all, you then move on to the restroom if you need to and there you find samples of makeup, lipstick, lip gloss, and perfume or cologne so that you look better than when you arrived! After that, it is the only negative part- you go into a small office where you have to pay but I thought they were very reasonable, especially for all the pampering you get! I am already looking forward to my six month checkup!

Well, that was the BEST experience I have ever had at a dentist office. My worst experience was when I busted out my front tooth from a fall off a skateboard and had to have a root canal or the time the dentist pulled out my adult teeth instead of my baby teeth to make room in my mouth so I am short a pair of teeth. No wonder I had questions about the cosmetic dentistry! When I win the lottery I will be able to get that work done! What was you best/worst experience at the dentist?

(Alright-I have just spent the last ten minutes trying to upload a picture and it is not working. Sorry.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a small version of a day spa. How much of it did your insurance cover, and what did you owe? It sounds so nice, but also very pricey. What was the estimate on the cosmetic stuff you need done? Most my dental experiences have been okay, just always need something done. But I do well with the work and all that, so I don't really have a bad/good story to tell.

Bridget said...

They are suprisingly reasonable. I think it was $68 for a cleaning and $40 for bitewing xrays. I don't have dental insurance so they gave me a 5%cash discount.