Monday, October 01, 2007

Catch Up



Well, as Hannah mentioned I do have some catch up to do. I won't bore you all with it all at once. I thought I would post about my chickens. We got baby chicks for the kids at Easter and they are know grown and laying eggs. It is Elise's favorite chore of the day to go and gather the eggs from the hen house. I just hope she still likes it when there is snow and freezing outside! It was so exciting the day I found eggs. I wasn't expecting them to lay for at least another month. I was also so very surprised at how small they were. They are getting bigger now. We also have a rooster but he is very quiet. No cock- a-doodle-doing from him. I think he knows that if we find out he is a rooster he'll become Sunday dinner! I caught him this morning laying on the eggs. Maybe he thinks he is a hen!?

I am some what weird in the fact that my future goal in life is to have a mini farm. I want to have a couple cows, horses, chickens, maybe a milking goat or two, a pig to butcher in the fall. I grew up part of my years on a mini farm and I loved it. I never looked at my outside chores as 'chores'. It was enjoyable and an outlet for me- still is- hence the garden and the chickens and the two dogs! Which is way my household duties don't get done. I need to hire a full time "Alice" from the Brady Bunch to do the mundane daily things of a house wife!

Along with that I have finally put together a scrapbook page of my Frenchie Bella. I was somewhat inspired to do so after Jessi's blog about dogs. I love my frenchie and think that once past the stubborn/stupid puppy phase they seem to go through they are THE best family dog. She is loyal- follows me from room to room which often I feel bad about because that is sometimes the only exercise she gets, she is protective- will bark at the fence or the door until I call her off and then she'll lick the visitor all over the face, and she is patient- with two small children I often find her dressed in their clothing or being used as a landing pad from off the couch. She has never snapped at anyone torturing her! I haven't heard- did Jessie get a dog?! I could have at least two more but Matt keeps me in check!

Ta Ta for now!

3 comments:

Diana said...

So happy you are blogging again. I love your idea of having a mini farm. I'd love to visit it someday. It's so opposite of what I want out of life but I love that you love animals. I imagine Lou would love me even more if I loved animals as much as you do.
Bella is the best dog ever. Kira was so afraid of dogs but now she loves them because of Bella :)

Anonymous said...

Twice in one day? This is awesome! We want to come and visit your chickens! Your farm in the making :) What does Matt think about this future mini-farm goal? You already have the horse, that seems like it would be one of the bigger arguing points. Next a cow?

Jessie doesn't have a dog yet...

Robin said...

I totally want to come see your chickens. That's just too awesome. And your horse! You just have an awesome pet house.

It's fun to see new posts on your blog again. (: I'm excited to see you tonight at book club!