Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Creativity

Yesterday Elise had a fun time painting. It started out with a paint brush and paper but by the time I finished the dishes she had turned it into finger painting! She was so cute in her mess that I took a few pictures of her. Elise is my very busy 2 1/2 year old. Her favorite thing to tell people when they ask her age is that she is 5. She is very enteraining all day long. I have to watch her like a hawk most of the time because if I am not keeping her busy with an activity she will discover her own! For example, she was very quiet for a long time downstairs. When I went to investigate she had decided that the fish tank needed to be cleaned. She had pulled up a chair and proceeded to take all the decorations out of the tank. By the time I arrived on the scene she was working on removing the gravel out of the tank. Luckily the fish are slippery and hard to catch! When I found her it was very hard to look upset when she innocently explained to me that "the fishes' house is dirty"! So , my question to all of you is this: What sort of fun activities do you do with your kids to keep them out of trouble?!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mya is really liking the tea parties right now, and then she is always a fan of coloring/drawing. I have not tried painting yet, but I should. I want to get some sidewalk chalks now that the weather is better. When I am having a cleaning fest, I turn the music on really loud and we dance and clean and change the kind of music and clean to the beat. She loves it and it keeps her moving and entertained. Elise is such a cutie with the fish tank!

Anonymous said...

TV! I know I'm a horrible mom, but I try to get my kids to watch as much tv as possible! That's the opposite of my childhood, where I'm sure you know, we didn't have a tv 'til I was like 12, and then it had a lock on it. I have a tv in all the kids rooms and one in the playroom. Believe me though, I can relate to the terrible ones, twos, threes, fours, fives, sixes, etc... I've got the 2 toddlers right now, but luckily I'm coming to the end soon, while you're just beginning! People always tell me that it gets harder as they get older, but I absolutely don't believe it. Other people have told me that I'll have more energy as they get older and I choose to believe that, because I certainly couldn't have any LESS energy!

Anonymous said...

Daniel is pretty good at entertaining himself. I usually turn on a CD in his room, and then he will play and listen to music for awhile. He also likes to color and play with Mr. Potatoe head. And I have him help me clean up whenever possible. Play-Do is fun, too. I definitely run out of ideas sometimes!

jt said...

I'm merely reading everyone else's comments so I know what to do with Bella as she gets alittle older. I can't let the tv babysit her forever- or maybe I can if I do as Becky does! ;)

michelle said...

My kids would watch tv or play video games all day if I'd let them. I made up a list of fun things to do that don't involve screen-watching. I often have to direct them to the list when they get bored. I'm harking back to when the boys were Elise's age and they always loved helping me do whatever I was doing: laundry, cleaning bathrooms, baking, sweeping. Do you have a child-size broom or ironing board? My kids loved pretending and imitating me. They would also do yardwork with me. sometimes if we got sitr-crazy we would invent errands to go on, or just go to the library. Hmm, I wish the boys were still as interested in helping me!

Bridget said...

That's a good idea Michelle! I like the 'bored'list. Elise does enjoy helping me with whatever I am doing!

Anonymous said...

wow i think i am the only male to reply to this, i promised bridget i would and she is awsome and i love her and owe her so so much. and i just wanted to publicly say she is sweet and she is the closest thing to perfect i have found. so i dont know what else to say other then i am also sweet but thats just cause i am a missionary but in 8 months i will be a loser again but bridget will still be my sister so i got that going for me:)